Gap & Needs
Find the gap: I found that people need to be more connected with positive self talk and self reassurance, especially when it comes to the dressing rooms among other places.
Defining a design problem: Many people, regardless of age, are not aware of the damaging effects of negative self talk, which can greatly damper their confidence and their individuality later in life.
Facts about positive self talk:
- Approximately 91% of women are unhappy with their bodies and resort to dieting to achieve their ideal body shape
- 58% of college-aged girls feel pressured to be a certain weight
- Studies show that the more reality television a young girl watches, the more likely she is to find appearance important
- More than 40% of women and about 20% of men agreed they would consider cosmetic surgery in the future
- Over 80% of 10 year olds are afraid of being fat
- Adolescent Girls who diet frequently are 12 times as likely to binge eat as girls who don’t.
- Percent of girls in 1st through 3rd grade who want to be thinner: 42%
- Girl Scouts did an online survey in 2010 with over 1000 girls ages 13-17. 9 out of 10 girls felt pressure by fashion and media industries to be skinny
- Total annual revenue of the weight loss industry: $55,400,000,000
- Total number of people with an eating disorder in the U.S: 8,000,000
Based on the research, the user needs would be to heighten the sense of body confidence all together, whether that be the dressing room, gym, or personal home/bathroom.
Infographics (?) Not completely sure what this section is supposed to be asking
Catalyst Conference pt. 2
Final Sketch ideas:
When developing my final sketch for the infographic I plan to do, I think I will want to focus on a template that contains more text and less images. My topic requires a lot of text so it will be important to be able to fit all the information in without cramming it too much. I think I will also want to include clip art images. As of right now, I am leaning towards furthering sketch #14 (bottom row, one in from far right) or something along the lines of sketch #5 (top row, far right).
Catalyst Conference pt. 3 10.6
I decided to finally create sketch #11 as it was more suited for the types of information I wanted to present on the infographic.
How you can engage!
- The best way to get involved with a real-world problem like this is drawing attention to it from platforms like social media. Every time you find yourselves in the dressing room, take a photo of yourself in the mirror and associate it with positive quotes. Although it may feel forced, it will lead to promising results in the long run.
- You can read this Forbes article by Margie Warrell here
2. If you have a smartphone, go to the iTunes App Store and buy the app Love Yourself Hypnosis: Instant Body Confidence for $6.95
3. This body confidence video from Teen Vogue is perfect! Watch it here