by Lenox Hill
– This problem is very apparent in Louisiana. Louisiana is not the most wealthy state. The average household income is about $45,000 a year. That number becomes even lower and drops to around $36,000 when looking at the average house income in New Orleans.
– Diabetes in Louisiana: About 13.6% of adults in Louisiana are diabetic.
– Kidney failure in Louisiana: In 2017 about 1,076 people died from kidney failure
– Heart disease in Louisiana: About 5.3% of adults in Louisiana were told that they had some type of heart diseases
Resources that are Necessary to Treat those Diseases and Illnesses:
– Diabetes: Healthier and well-balanced meals, exercising, medication (EX: insulin), taking care of your body when you are sick, limited/no alcohol intake, keeping track of blood sugar levels, regulating stress, etc.
– Kidney Failure: Medications, dialysis, kidney transplant, changing eating and lifestyle habits, becoming more active, avoiding drinking and smoking, keeping track of symptoms.
– Heart disease: Lifestyle changes, exercising, prescribed medications, surgery, monitoring levels (such as cholesterol), eating healthier foods, keeping track of symptoms, stopping smoking and drinking, etc.
Resources that are Available to People in Lower Socioeconomic Groups:
– Another available option is Medicaid. This is a program that was created by the federal government. This program is usually used by people who have low income and cannot afford health insurance.
How I Hope to Catalyze Change:
– As I said earlier, I am going to start a go-fund-me. The link is attached below. I am not going to simply ask you to donate to my page, but that would be great. I am going to ask everyone who is looking at this page to share the information that they have learned today with friends and family members. Please educate people on how healthcare impacts families and individuals of lower socioeconomic statuses. By doing so, hopefully, it will inspire others to want to donate to help those people have more access to treatment. While the link is attached on here, I am also going to create an Instagram ad. This ad will tell the story I am telling right now. I hope that this touches others and pushes them to help fix the gap in healthcare for people of lower socioeconomic statuses.